Thursday, October 16, 2008

From da bush

Hey all,

So It happened. On September 20-something I rose my hand, said an oath, and became a real life peace corps volunteer. A few days and many celebratory bottles later I found my self facing a rather snug hut surrounded by all my bags and a dog. (Oh yeah, I bought a dog - Tiger - in Lusaka and brought him with me to site. He's been a saving grace, a buddy at all times). The days at site are very routine. I wake up, lay in bed for thrity minutes or so, get up, feed Tig, sit in front of my house, and stare blankly into the African bush, whilst wondering whatinthehell am I doing here, for a good ten or fifteen minutes. Once I snap out of that, I eat breakfast (oatmeal and whatever leftovers from the night before), don a tie and dress shirt, ride my bike to one meeting or another (whether or not the other party shows up [its always 50/50]), come back, clean my hut, cook lunch, play a little sodoku/read/write, clean again maybe, go for a run, bathe, cook dinner, and finally go to sleep. That's a pretty full 16 hr day (mind you everything takes two or three times longer than it did back in the states).

My village is, as I can tell so far, nice. The previous volunteer was admistratively separted for some pretty seriousily inappropriate behavior and, whether it actually exists or I just mentally project it, an aire of wary suspicion floats around my village. Its definitely getting better though, the people are definitely opening up a little and I'm not feeling like such an outcast.

Its hard for me to think of anything funny or intesting to tell. Everyday kinda mushes together into one hymogenous routine. I guess I'll have to start writing down the more entertaining events so I can remember them easier - but really I can't think of anything specific.

Oh wait: OK. So it was my first night in my village and, well, nature of the second type came calling around 9pm. So I grab my toliet paper and head out to my pit latrine. My village reluctantly forgot to put a roof on my "toilet" and so, trying to make lemonaid outta whatIthinkarelemons, I looked forward to enjoying an open air restroom. Anyways, as I squatted down, I immediately felt something hit my butt-cheek at a rather high velocity. Before I could stand up to see what it was, two more hit the other cheek. I stand up, turn around, and see crickets, the size of a half-dollars and larger, shooting out of the latrine hole. Yelling an explictive, I ran to my house, grabbed my five dollar can of raid, and emptied half the can into the hole. Bad idea. Two seconds later, I kid you not, hundreds of these giant crickets came pouring out from the dark stanky depths. Needlesstosay, I returned some rich nutrients to forest that night. And the next day they were gone, leaving me to enjoy my open air throne room.

Avocados are in season, and forwhateverreason, Zambians are more than happy to sell them CHEAP. So far I've bought 20 nice sized avocados in the past week and a half, and the Guac has just been pouring out of my hut. I've even figured out how to make bush-tortilla-chips and tacos just so I can use up that green, creamy goodness.

I'm usually dirty. Even now I'm really dirty. I mean I wash everyday, but somehow I'm filthy minutes later.

One of the kids from my language group who was placed pretty close to me has left - leaving just three of us to take on the Lundazi district. It was hard to see her go, but she really wasn't happy here and I'm glad she didn't wait to make the decision.

That's really it. I can't think of anything else. I know, I know: "But you're in Africa!" To tell the truth, the demands of simply living take up at least half, if not three fourths, of the day. If there's anything specific you guys wanna know about, leave a comment. Otherwise, lemme know what's up in the States (extra request re: College Football). Anyways Hope all is well, you've got my address, my phone number, and my email - give me an update sometime.

Loves to all,
Ryan-CoveredInDirt-Keating

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay Strong good buddy Love YAH!! sounds like things are tough, but Glad to hear youre healthy! And still Kickin ASS!
You must introduce me to some zambian ladies one of these days...

-Lil Bro Peter Chang
PS- UC davis football is 3-4 (all wins at home games)

Daily Shirt Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey man, its good getting updates. Ill post the your blog feed on the tke website. I just saw some photos of Lundazi, its a nice place. have you eaten at the castle hotel spot?

What are some things you'd like from the states (that we can send you, i dont know what you have available over there)?

Can we find your place on google maps?

Why are houses in circles facing each other? Families?

take care,
Josh hernandez

Chelsea Keating said...

Dear CoveredInDirt,

So goes the current US of A:
money sucks, as well as politics, and you are missed!

LOVE YOU!

Lauren said...

i love reading your updates! i miss you. i cant wait to talk to you.

love, lee (signed on as ren)

GSXR6Dude said...

Hey Keating,

I love reading your updates man! You always make me laugh man. I swear I could hear you say "Oh fuck!" when the crickets came flying out at you! haha. I wouldnt mind trying some of your home cooked chips and such. You usually make pretty good food. Youre definitly missed. I hear your name brought up atleast a few times a week, if not every day. Someone is always thinking about you and what crazy stuff youre doing/getting yourself into over there. Stay safe and healthy!

-Mike V.